Vittorio’s Kitchen La Cucina di VittorioIngredients:
- 1 lb. boneless round beef
- 8 slices lean bacon (pancetta)
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz. red wine
- 2 oz. butter
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the meat thin and pound
it with a mallet.
- Place in a baking pan.
- Marinate with the carrot,
celery and onion.
- Add the garlic and bay leaf
to the bowl with the meat and cover with the wine.
- Marinate in a cool place for
a couple of hours.
- Drain the slices of meat, pat
dry and cover each with a slice of pancetta.
- Roll each slice, with the
pancetta on the inside, and tie
the involtini with string or keep in place with a toothpick.
- Drain the vegetables; put them in a saucepan
and sauté with half the butter and two teaspoons of oil.
- When tender (but not browned)
add the involtini and brown quickly.
- Reduce the wine by half its
volume in a separate saucepan.
- Pour it over the involtini,
add salt and pepper, cover, and cook over very low heat for 30 mins.
- When the involtini
are ready, remove the string or the toothpick, and place them in a warm
- Drain the cooking liquid, and
reduce for another few minutes.
- Add the remaining butter
without allowing the sauce to boil.
- Pour the sauce over the rolls (involtini) and serve hot with polenta or mashed potatoes.