Ricotta and Meat Cannelloni
1. 3 tblsp olive oil
2. 1 large onions
3. 5 cloves garlic
4. 1 LB Ricotta cheese
5. 2 large eggs
6. ½ cup Asiago or Parmesan cheese
7. ¼ cup fresh grated Romano Cheese
8. 4 tsp chopped paisley.
9. ¾ cup chopped fresh basil
10. Salt and pepper.
11. ¾ LB Mozzarella in tin slices or shredded.
12. 1 ½ LB Ground beef and pork 50/50 or veal if you prefer (I do not mix veal with other meat in dish like these, the rison is, the veal will not be notable)
13. 32 oz of tomatoes pulp.
14. 2 dozen cannelloni shell, Fresh made ( look the fresh pasta recipe) use dry if you like, pre cook, cool them of in ice water spray with little oil.
Preheat the oven to 350°.
In a large, deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onion and half of the garlic and cook until translucent,.
Push the onion to the sides of the pan and increase the heat to medium-high.
Add the ground meat and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned.
Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta for 6 minutes.
Drain the pasta and rinse in ice cold water to stop the cooking.
Spread the cooked pasta shells on a moist kitchen towel, spray with little oil
3. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, eggs, 1/4 cup Asiago cheese, the parsley, salt and pepper, Fold in the meat mixture.
4. Puree the tomatoes in a blender or food processor until smooth. In a medium skillet, cook the remaining garlic in the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until soft, about 2 minutes.
Add the pureed tomatoes, the basil and the remaining 1/4 cup Asiago cheese and simmer for 10 minutes. Mix in ½ of the Romano
Spread half the sauce on the bottom of a sturdy rimmed baking sheet.
Stuff the pasta shells with 3 tablespoons with mixture.
roll the around to enclose the staffing.
Place the cannelloni seam side down on the sauce and top with the remaining tomato sauce and the sliced mozzarella. Bake for 25 minutes.